Monday, February 23, 2009

Asian Salad

I found this recipe here and made it for our frugal Enrichment night. It was a hit- everyone especially loved the dressing. I love Prudence Pennywise because not only does she share great (healthy) food but she does it on a budget and gives some great tips. I would've never thought to make the crispy won ton strips myself but it's so easy and cheap! Do it!

8 fresh won ton or 6 egg roll sheets
cooking spray
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
2 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 large orange, peeled, or canned mandarin oranges
1 large avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
4 green onions, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/3 cup roasted salted peanuts
Ginger Soy Dressing: Recipe Below
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Coat won tons with spray and cut into strips. Bake on foil lined cookie sheet until crispy, turning once, about 8 minutes; sprinkle with sesame seeds. On serving plates, layer greens, chicken, oranges, avocado, cilantro, scallions, peanuts, and won ton strips. Drizzle with dressing and serve.
Ginger Soy Dressing:4 tablespoons rice vinegar4 tablespoons sugar2 tablespoons soy sauce1 generous teaspoon grated fresh ginger, or 1/4 teaspoon dried ginger2 tablespoons canola oil1/2 teaspoon black pepperpinch of saltWhisk all dressing ingredients in a small bowl.

**I didn't add the roasted peanuts that night for fear of someone having a peanut allergy. But I will when I make it for my family. And I'll take a picture next time or you can just go look at hers and drool. ;)

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP