Monday, September 10, 2007

Frosted Orange Cookies


My mom used to make Orange cookies that I loved. I tried to make some a few months ago and screwed up the frosting (uh yah, the best part). So I had a craving and tried to find a recipe that sounded similar to what she made. I found this recipe at Recipezaar. Julia and I had "Mommy Daughter time" today and made these cookies. Yummmmm....not your typical cookie. But good and brings back memories.


1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup shortening
2 eggs, beaten
1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
2 tablespoons grated orange rind
3 tablespoons orange juice
4 cups all-purpose flour, plus
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; beat until smooth and creamy.
Add orange rind and juice; beat well.
Combine flour, baking powder, soda, and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture, beating well.
Drop dough by teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets; bake at 350 degrees for 14-16 minutes or until edges just begin to brown.
Cool on wire racks.
Spread tops of cookies with orange glaze.

Orange Glaze

1 (16 ounce) package powdered sugar, sifted

2 tablespoons grated orange rind

5 tablespoons orange juice

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine all ingredients; beat until smooth.

3 comments:

Wendi September 11, 2007 at 7:56 AM  

Mique--that frosting looks similar to my orange glazed cruellers, that I made last week. Great minds think alike!

Heather S. September 11, 2007 at 8:17 AM  

Yummy, this looks good. I'll have to try this next time I want cookies, and actually have oranges in the house. Too bad apple season is just coming on. All the trees here are about ready to be picked. Any great apple recipe's out there?

Christie September 11, 2007 at 9:28 AM  

Keep 'em coming, sister. Those look so good!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP