Friday, September 14, 2007

Apple Crisp with Maple Cream Sauce

(sorry about the pic- not great but tasted good :)


So as mentioned here, I wanted to make The Pioneer Woman Cooks recipe for Peach Crisp with Maple Cream Sauce (doesn't the name alone sound good?). I bought the peaches this week. TWICE! But by tonight they had disappeared. I did however have lots of Granny Smith apples. So I thought I could make apple crisp and add the maple syrup sauce to it.
Here's what I did:
I had a box of apple crisp mix in my pantry (cheated on that part I know)
used to my apple peeler/corer from The Pampered Chef to slice/core/peel 6 apples
Made the crisp according to the box. Here's an easy recipe for apple crisp though (for all you non-cheaters out there).
Then I made the sauce:
Maple Cream Sauce-
1 1/2 c. whipping cream
5 Tbsp. maple syrup
3 Tbsp. light corn syrup
Combine all ingredients in a heavy saucepan. Cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently (to prevent the sauce from burning or sticking to pan) until sauce is thickened and reduced by 1/3 (approx 20 mins)....Chill. Drizzle generously over crisp.

And I topped the apple crisp with the sauce. Voile. Superb. I still want to do the real version of this recipe. But this was good enough for tonight.
And as I was standing at the stovetop stirring (for 20 mins!), I realized why I love cooking. It can be quite creative. I love being able to take something, make it my own and present it to my family. It's in a way art....

2 comments:

Christie September 15, 2007 at 3:18 PM  

I have thought the same thing about doing her peach crisp with apples and making the sauce. Glad it was good. Might be trying that one soon...

Christie September 15, 2007 at 3:19 PM  

P.S. If I keep making your recipes I am going to weigh like 400 pounds. But don't stop. Girlfriend likes herself some good food.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP