Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Cheese Enchilada Chowder (with chicken added)

Just made this for dinner tonight and Josh said it was his favorite that I've made ever (which is big- I've made all kinds of soup). I didn't have the yellow,green or red pepper (somehow I forgot it at the store!?!) and I added chunks of baked chicken. It was SOOOO good. I got it here. Picture next time. Oh and it has some kick to it- I added a lot of sour cream to my kids dishes and they were fine.

1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 14-1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
1 10-ounce package frozen whole kernel corn
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped yellow, green or red sweet pepper
1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded, if desired, and finely chopped
1 19-ounce can enchilada sauce
1 10-3/4-ounce can condensed cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup
2 cups milk
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (4 ounces)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
dairy sour cream (optional)
guacamole (optional)
tortilla chips, coarsely broken (optional)

1. In a 3-1/2 to 5-quart slow cooker combine black beans, tomatoes, frozen corn, onion, sweet pepper, and jalape?o pepper. In a large mixing bowl whisk together enchilada sauce and soup. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Pour sauce mixture over ingredients in cooker.

2. Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours. Stir in Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese until melted. Ladle into bowls. If desired, top each serving with sour cream, guacamole and tortilla chips.

2 comments:

Anonymous,  April 2, 2008 at 4:38 AM  

Thanks for the link back to my blog. I am glad you enjoyed the recipe. Here is another that is a favorite here...

http://mjpuzzlemom.wordpress.com/2007/10/27/mexican-chicken-soup/

Thanks again!

MJ - What a Crock!

Nikole April 8, 2008 at 5:18 PM  

Sounds so yummy! Mexican soups are my favorite. Did you just use the traditional red enchilada sauce?

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP