Sunday, October 21, 2007

Broccoli Cheese Chowder

Another recipe from The Essential Mormon Cookbook. I'll post a pic when I make it.
2 bunches (about a pound) fresh broccoli
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 c. butter
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. flour
4 c. milk
1 c. chicken broth
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 c. grated cheddar cheese

Cook broccoli just until tender. Do not overcook. Drain and cut into small pieces- set aside. Saute chopped onion in the 1/4 c. butter until tender- set aside. In a large saucepan or soup pot prepare white sauce- melt 1/2 c butter over medium heat, then stir in flour until well blended. Gradually stir in milk, chicken broth and salt. Stir constantly until mix reaches a boil. Cook 1-2 mins., until thickened. Add broccoli and onion. Stir in cheese. Cook briefly over medium heat. Avoid bringing to a boil. Serve immediately or keep warm over low heat. Makes 6-8 servings.
Try serving in bread bowls.

1 comments:

Kerry October 25, 2007 at 8:08 PM  

I am a friend of Heather, whose sister is Wendi. Heather told me you live in So. Cal, and I was hoping you are safe from the fires! My parents live in SD, so I have been worrying about them too.I hope you and your home are fine!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP